Thursday, January 19, 2012

Office Redo: Part 1



Well, this has been a crazy week...I changed to part-time work at my "real job" starting the first of January, but I have hardly been home! This is my first week of having 3 days at home, unfortunately I have been sick the whole time!! I'm starting to feel better today and want to start documenting one of my current projects....the office move. Until recently our "home office" (which consisted only of a desk, a small file cabinet, and multiple piles of papers on the floor) had been located in a spare bedroom- now that room is going to be used as an actual guest bedroom, so the office has to go. We decided the best place for it to relocate to is in an ambiguous corner of the living room:

This round card table was placed here about 3 years ago for a Halloween party. It was never meant to stay, but it quickly found a purpose...hiding the dog house and stereo. Here is how it usually looks:
Olivia patiently waiting for a treat inside the dog house.
Now, I hope to create an organized home office to neatly hide all of our office supplies and paper stuffs. This is going to be a very low budget re-do, so I'm redesigning some existing pieces I already have to make them work well together. We have a wooden desk left over from my husband's college days. (We actually painted this desk green at his parent's house the summer before his sophomore year in college...he was really into Lord of the Rings and thought this looked like a hobbit's work desk...how funny is that! ) 

This desk is getting a fresh, new coat of white satin latex paint, and a very needed coat of polyurethane for extra scratch protection. In case you are wondering, I am going to leave the stained wood top as-is. In fact, this desk is drying in the basement at this very moment : )

Here is the standard, black filing cabinet. It has already been spray painted in a white satin. I used Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer, and top-coated with 3 coats of Rustoleum Satin in white. No pictures of the finished product yet...I ran out of day light for pictures and had to bring it in without any after shots...I'll post those soon. 

A few weekends ago, it was actually warm enough outside for me to spray paint outdoors! 

Now to the real work...designing the office space! I'm in serious need of taking advantage of the vertical wall space, and in need some shelves to store books, magazine files, covered boxes, etc. I've been browsing Pinterest and my favorite blogs for ideas. I'm most inspired by these floating shelves.

Pinterest
Pinterest
 
younghouselove.com 

Before wrapping today up, here are my top 3 ideas for my floating shelf placement in my soon to be new home office (don't laugh at my hand drawn sketches! LOL) :


Option 1

Option 2

Option 3
So what do you think? Let me know. I'm going to have to sleep on it before I decide. I hope to start (and finish) the shelves this weekend !!

Talk To You Later!!
-Jess




2 comments:

  1. I like option one. It is the most interesting configuration but it probably also give you the least amount of usable space so it depends on how much you have to put on those shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, it's a tie between Option 1 and Option 3 (from comments, emails and phone calls). I need a tie breaker!!

    ReplyDelete